Growing and maintaining a thriving website with plenty of traffic and an excellent conversion rate takes a commitment that will continue for the life of the site. While it is certainly true that your maintenance schedule need not take as long as the original creation of the site, there is much that can be done in a short amount of time to stabilize or improve your SEO rankings and keep your overall experience solid.
Five Quick Technical SEO Tips to Keep Your Website Ranking Steady
- Continuously add fresh content to the site.Even if you have the #1 spot in an organic search, you won’t maintain that spot for long without regularly adding fresh content to your site. Naturally, the content should always be relevant to your business; if you are feeling stuck regarding new content ideas, create a list of people that have experience with your product or services whom you may be able to interview. Customer reviews are also excellent sources of new content. Some industries may benefit from focusing content around current and upcoming seasons or holidays. Remember, every new page you create should have a meta description that contains the relevant keywords and accurately describes the content of the page, as well as a well written page title containing 60 characters or less.
- Ensure you are using your heading tags correctly.Both visitors and search engines alike appreciate clear divisions between sections of content; the search engines in particular utilize heading tags to determine the relevance of the page content to the keywords it contains. H2 tags should be utilized for all major divisions while H3 to H6 tags are available for smaller sub-divisions as needed.
- Utilize internal links frequently.Not only do internal links keep visitors on your site longer, search engines love internal links with keywords that are relevant to the linked content within other pages that are loaded with content relevant to their own keywords. Each page should contain 2-5% of content in the form of relevant keywords to optimize SEO rankings. Taking full advantage of internal linking is one of the best ways to maintain steady ranking.
- Create an accurate sitemap.Crawlers use your sitemap as an overall guide when seeking out relevant content, and a comprehensive, organized sitemap will improve your SEO rankings by increasing the speed at which crawlers work through the site. An XML sitemap is contained as part of the functionality of most content management systems; if yours does not, it may be time to upgrade to another system or create an XML map via an alternate method.
- Periodically run an SEO audit as well as a crawler through your site.Missing or duplicate content can be located with these tools, giving you the opportunity to correct small errors that can lead to big losses in rankings if not quickly addressed. You’ll also be alerted of any pages that do not contain enough content and/or those showing load speed issues.
Regular Maintenance Leads to Long Term Profits
As a website developer, you probably understand that you could spend countless hours optimizing every aspect of your site, yet when time is of the essence, knowing how to get the most out of your maintenance schedule will keep your page rankings and number of visitors high without requiring a full time commitment. Working within a SEO software platform can further assist small business owners in managing their online presence and ultimately generate a greater number of conversions